we are not in the cloud, we are in the mist
‘The breakdown of an average site’s traffic is as follows:
- 5% is due to hacking tools looking for an unpatched or new vulnerability within a site.
- 5% is scrapers.
- 2% from automated comment spammers.
- 19% the result of “spies” collating competitive intelligence.
- 20% derived from search engines (non-human traffic but benign).
- 49% from people browsing the Internet.’
‘Even if these concerns about Wikipedia as an encyclopedic genre are relevant, they misguidedly focus on human agents only. Wikipedia’s advance is not only enabled by its human resources, but is equally defined by the technological tools and managerial dynamics that structure and maintain its content. This article analyzes the socio-technical system — the intricate collaboration between human users and automated content-agents — that defines Wikipedia as a knowledge instrument.’